Wednesday 12 September 2007

Malt Whisky

Just read a fellow bloggers comment about the joys of the simple things in life. Felt like sitting and writing about this. There is so much negative press about binge drinking, the ill effects of alcohol and the damage to society. The good that it does is so hard to quantify. There must be millions of people, who like myself enjoy sitting and saviouring a glass(or two) of a favourite tipple. It's been one of those days, you get home, deal with all the problems and pleasures of home life. That moment when you sit down holding the glass, sip and savour the taste of the elixir, it often causes a loud exhalation, a clearing of all the pent up frustrations of the day. I love a malt whisky(no brand mentioned but it's a peaty, smokey Islay delight), I always have it in a particular tumbler when I am at home. The ritual of preparation getting the glass out, taking the bottle off the shelf and out of the tubular storage box and pouring a splash, a scoosh, a modicum, a suitable measure and the first notes rise like an old friend greeting me, welcoming me back. Add a splash of water sometimes an ice cube and sip. I rarely have more than one because if I did it would detract from the exclusivity of the pleasure. I wonder if this falls under the heading of simple pleasure, it does for me. That, at the end of the day(pun intended)is the criteria that it has to meet for me.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Not a whisky drinker, but I do enjoy a bottle of Grolsch or similar when watching the telly or just chilling with my children.

I like a glass of wine sometimes but end up supping the whole bottle because it is there, so its usually the lager.

Very pleasant!

PHR said...

A beer just doesn't hit that "Ah" spot when sitting down at the end of an evening. Having said that, the "Ah" spot when walking in from a rough day is very definitely hit into oblivion by an ice cold beer.

Anonymous said...

A cold beer after some strenuous gardening.

A glass (or bottle) of wine with a meal or a friend.

.....and yes a glass of good whisky when alone to reflect on the day.

..........and all in one day too LOL